A little window into my world

Saturday 2 October 2010

And so it begins...

On Thursday I had my induction day back into university after a year out. I am not going to lie I was very nervous on the day because I did not know what to expect. It is a new course with us being the first 'class' if you will, and as well as that, I only recognised a few faces but actually knew no one. The day was spent mainly making small talk to my new course mates and listening to hours and hours of people trying to paralyse us into fear of the amount of work we have to complete and the small amount of time in which we have to do it. When I came away I was actually really pumped up and wanting to get started on all of the projects set. But before I can begin the 'biggies' I have an equally important presentation to complete ready for next Friday to be made in front of my head of school, no pressure or nothing.

The presentation has had what I assume is the intended impact of making me think about myself and my design style. In essence the flow of it will be based on a series of quotes and related questions. I have been working on it all day and am still questioning my thoughts on a few of the questions not because I don't know what to say but to make it relevant and to cut down my choices is actually proving pretty hard. The questions go as follows;

1. "What you have in your closet reveals what kind of job you have, what magazines you read, how creative you are, even where you went to college". Nina Garin.
Who are you? And what is your Personal style?

2. "I wish I had invented the blue jeans. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal, simplicity- all I hope for in my clothes". Yves Saint Laurent.
What fashion item or fashion product, would you have liked to have invented and why? Include the product or an image in your explanation.

3. "I don't design clothes. I design dreams". Ralph Lauren.
What is your design dream?

4. " Sofia is so active, and she made The Virgin Suicides, which I thought was great- all these things are inspiring to me, not in terms of creating a particular dress, but just in terms of knowing that there is a type of woman out there". Marc Jacobs.
Sofia Coppola in Marc Jacobs muse, who would be yours and why?

At first these questions seemed pretty simple and straight forward but once I started thinking about numbers 2 and 4 I really became stuck. There are so many people that inspire me and so many products I wish I had invented to narrow it down to one solid answer is very hard. As far as a muse goes there are a number of European actress' and singers that I would design with them in mind but there are also a number of people in other professions that I design for as well as the everyday girl. I don't want my answers to seem cliche or obvious but I guess to an extent they always are.

Apart from making me really think about these two questions the other questions have made me realise I have a real clarity about what my design style is and what my design dreams are as well as where it is all going. I think these early thoughts on all of the above will give me a clear focus for the academic year ahead of me as far as my work is concerned. I am hoping with a bit more thought I will have a snazzy presentation to present on Friday.

-Rhianna.